It is not only important to support your partner after pregnancy but it is also important that you both bond with your baby to make your family a happy one. The following list outlines tried and tested methods to help dad to bond with baby.
- Skin-to-skin contact between father and baby is just as much of an intimate experience as breastfeeding. Once your baby has finished a feed, give him or her cuddle with bare arms. Remember not to wear strong aftershaves as these could irritate your baby’s skin. Within minutes your baby’s temperature, respiration and heart rate will settle and you will both experience the same closeness as a mother does while breastfeeding
- Another way to stay close to your baby is to have a bath or shower together. Babies really love this and being held in the bath by dad makes all the splashing water and sticky soaps a lot less scary.
- An infant massage is good for dads to bond with their babies as babies love to be touched and snuggled. Lay your little one on a flat surface and gently rub your palms together with baby oil to warm them. Sing and talk to your baby to get them giggling and massage lightly. Watch how your baby responds. If they do not seem to like it, try using a lighter touch.
- Very few dads have the patience to push a huge buggy so carrying your baby in a sling or carrier is the next best thing as it keeps baby close to your body for maximum warmth and bonding.
- Surely mum can’t be left to do all the dirty work so changing your baby’s nappy not only gives your partner a break, but it gives you a great opportunity to laugh and talk with your baby.