There is no better food for a baby than breast milk to give your baby the best start in life. After all, it was designed by Mother Nature to contain everything your baby needs to thrive for the first six months and be the perfect complement to first foods for the first year and beyond. Our breastfeeding benefits page outlines the reasons why you should breast feed; simply continue reading to find out more.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Baby
- Breast milk is packed with antibodies to protect your baby against infection, reducing the likelihood of developing allergies such as asthma and eczema.
- Breast milk is sterile and always at the right temperature.
- Breast milk is easy for your baby to digest.
- Breast milk improves brain development in young babies.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of diarrhoea and vomiting.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mum
- Breast milk is free.
- Breastfeeding helps your womb return to its normal size quicker after the birth.
- Women who breastfeed have some protection from certain conditions in later life, such as ovarian and breast cancer and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding uses up about 800 calories a day, so it can help you lose some of the weight you put on during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding makes your body produce feel-good hormones, which make you and your baby happy.